The new MacBook, as Apple announced to be the lightest and most compact Mac notebook, is more than just a new notebook. It is 13.1mm thin and 2lb. light. Similar to the iPhone 6, it is available in elegant colors gold, silver and space gray.
It offers a redesigned comfortable, full-sized keyboard that features the Butterfly Mechanism that has a single assembly made from stiff material for more stable, responsive keys, offering more stability, uniformity and control. The keyboard is 40% thinner and its keys are 17% larger than regular laptop keyboards. It features backlight and its LEDs are calibrated for uniform brightness.
The new MacBook features a 12-inch Retina display which is paper thin (just 0.88mm.). Its edge-to-edge glass is only 0.5mm thick. It offers 2304x1440 resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio and 178 degrees viewing angle. Its LED background is 30% more energy efficient than other Mac notebooks but with the same vivid brightness.
With the revolutionary Force Touch trackpad feature, you can do a lot more with a little deeper press. The new MacBook has force sensors that detect how much pressure you apply and the Taptic Engine that provides click sensation whenever you press anywhere on the surface. It makes it possible for you to perform different actions in different apps in just the same surface. The Force Touch's sensitivity is also customizable.
Each new MacBook is powered by fifth generation Intel Core M "Broadwell" processor, the first chip designed with 14-nanometer process technology, Intel HD Graphics 5300 and OS X.
The new MacBook offers all-day battery life or up to 9 hours or web browsing or 10 hours of iTunes movie playback. It has 35% more capacity than the current technology would allow.
As the new MacBook is very thin and light, it also has USB-C, the dynamic port that offers charging and fast data transfers that is 1/3 the size of the current USB port.
Aside from being the world's most energy efficient notebook, the new MacBook is free from harmful toxins such as beryllium, brominated flame retardants (BFRs), and polyvinyl chloride (PVC). It is made from highly recyclable materials such as aluminum and glass.
Manufacturer Technical Specs:
- 12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology
- 2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
- 16:10 aspect ratio
- Supported scaled resolutions:
- 1440 by 900
- 1280 by 800
- 1024 by 640
- 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache
- Configurable to 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache.
- 8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
- 256 or 512GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage1
Size and Weight
- Height: 0.14–0.52 inch (0.35–1.31 cm)
- Width: 11.04 inches (28.05 cm)
- Depth: 7.74 inches (19.65 cm)
- Weight: 2.03 pounds (0.92 kg)2
Graphics and Video Support
- Intel HD Graphics 5300
- Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking;IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
Charging and Expansion
- USB-C port with support for:
- USB 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps)
- Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output
- VGA output using USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter (sold separately)
- HDMI video output using USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter (sold separately)
- 480p FaceTime camera
- Stereo speakers
- Dual microphones
- Headphone port
- Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
Keyboard and Trackpad
- Full-size keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) individual LED backlit keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys with ambient light sensor
- Force Touch trackpad for precise cursor control and pressure-sensing capabilities; enables Force clicks, accelerators, pressure-sensitive drawing, and Multi-Touch gestures
Battery and Power
- Up to 9 hours wireless web3
- Up to 10 hours iTunes movie playback3
- Built-in 39.7-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
- 29W USB-C Power Adapter; USB-C power port
Electrical and Operating Requirements
- Line voltage: 100V–240V AC
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz
- Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
- Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-25° to 45° C)
- Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
- Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet
- Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
- Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet
OS X Yosemite
Engineered to take full advantage of your Mac hardware, OS X Yosemite is intuitive and easy to use. It features an elegant design, includes enhancements to the apps you use most, and enables your Mac and iOS devices to work together in amazing ways. Learn more
OS X Yosemite includes
- Notification Center
- Facebook Integration
- Twitter Integration
- Mail Drop
- Multiple Display Support
- Finder Tabs and Tags
- iCloud Keychain
- iCloud Drive
- Family Sharing
- Mission Control
- Spotlight Search
- Safari Power Saver
- App Nap
- Power Nap
- Compressed Memory
- Built-in Sharing
- Time Machine
- Photo Booth
- Mac App Store
- Game Center
Limited Warranty and Service
Your MacBook comes with 90 days of free telephone support and a one-year limited warranty. Purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan to extend your service and support to three years from your computer’s purchase date. Only the AppleCare Protection Plan provides you with direct telephone support from Apple technical experts and the assurance that repairs will be handled by Apple-authorized technicians using genuine Apple parts.
- USB-C to USB Adapter
- USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
- USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter
AirPort and Wireless
- AirPort Express
- AirPort Extreme
- AirPort Time Capsule
- AppleCare Protection Plan
- Apple USB SuperDrive
- Magic Mouse
- Magic Trackpad
- World Travel Adapter Kit
- 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
- Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
- Testing conducted by Apple in February 2015 using preproduction 1.2GHz Intel Core M-based 12-inch MacBook systems with 512GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The HD movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 1080p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.
- Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Yosemite required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.